People tend to take their home's water heater for granted, yet it's one of the more important appliances in the home. Knowing when to replace your water heater does not have to be a mystery. Here are five signs that can help you decide if it's time for a water heater replacement:
- Look at the color of your hot water. If it looks rusty, it's time for a new water heater.
- If your hot water seems to be running out quicker than in the past, or it's not as hot as it should be, you probably need to replace your water heater.
- When you notice the water heater's efficiency dropping, consider purchasing a new, moreefficient model.
- If your water heater is close to 12 years old, you may want to start looking for a water heater replacement because it's only a matter of time before your old model bites the dust.
- If there are puddles or moisture around the base of the water heater, you probably have a leak. In this case, you should call Joe Behr Plumbing & Heating, Inc. to replace your water heater right away.
Once you know you need a water heater replacement, you have to decide what size water heateryou need, or whether a tankless water heater will best suit your needs. To determine the best size water heater for you and your family, you'll need to determine your family’s peak usage time. Once you know your peak usage time of day, take the following activities into consideration:
Activity – gallons of water used
- Bathing – 20
- Showering – 20
- Shaving – 2
- Using the dishwasher – 10
- Washing clothes – 32
- Preparing food – 5
- Washing hands – 4
If during any given hour your family will be running the dishwasher, showering, bathing and washing clothes, you'll need at least an 82-gallon hot water heater. These estimates do not take faucet aerators or low-flow showerheads into consideration. If you have these items, your waterusage will be less and you may be able to purchase a smaller water heater.
If you're interested in water heater replacement for your Mid-Ohio home, please contact us at Joe Behr Plumbing & Heating, Inc. today. Our professionals can help you choose and then install the water heater that best suits your needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Mid-Ohio area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about water heater replacement and other HVAC topics, visit our website.