Spring cleaning is not complete until you have performed annual air conditioner maintenance, but far too many of us forget about it. It's easy to do when the spring is still relatively cool, but when those late spring and summer energy bills start arriving, you'll wish you had the A/C service done when you had the chance.
Every month you go without having annual A/C service costs you money. That's because your entire system is inefficient and consuming far more energy when it isn't operating at peak levels.
Here are the components that need to be serviced and tasks completed before the heavy-usage summer months:
- Filters – Dirty air filters make it much harder for your A/C or heat pump to pull in the amount of air it needs to operate. Simply cleaning or replacing a clogged filter can instantly make your system 15 percent more efficient because it will receive the proper amount of air flow.
- Coils – A/C and heat pump coils collect dirt and dust as the air passes through. This buildup inhibits the coils' ability to pull heat from the air, so the unit will have to run much longer to cool the air.
- Fins – Coil fins can become bent and damaged fairly easily. For minor damage, you can reshape them with a fin comb to ensure a sufficient flow of air enters the system.
- Condensate Drains – Drains are supposed to control the humidity that enters your home. Over the fall and winter, they become clogged by leaves and debris that does not allow them to remove moisture, meaning the air entering your home will be uncomfortable and unhealthy.
- System Check – While performing these tasks, you should make sure to check the overall health of the system to avoid any surprise breakdowns during the summer.
If you don't have the A/C service performed before the heat arrives, your energy bills are going to be higher than they should and you run the risk of paying a premium for emergency repairs.
To ensure that your HVAC system is ready for the summer, contact Joe Behr Plumbing and Heating. With over 45 years of service to Mid-Ohio homeowners, we have the expertise to help you save this summer.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C service and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Joe Behr Plumbing and Heating, Inc. services the Mid-Ohio area.