If you are looking for an easy-to-install heating solution for a hard-to-reach area of your home, you may want to consider a ductless mini split. Unlike traditional heat pumps, these systems don't require ductwork to distribute heated air throughout your home. Instead, they use independent air-handler units that you mount directly into the space that they will be heating. This makes them ideal for use in room additions or other areas of your home that would be difficult or impossible to reach with traditional ductwork. They are also a great solution for retrofitting homes that do not have ducted heating systems.
Ductless mini splits have two main components: an outdoor condenser unit and an indoor air-handler unit, and you connect the two units with a conduit that contains the system's cables and tubing. Some of the main advantages of ductless mini splits include that they are:
- Versatile: You can attach as many as four indoor air-handler units to a single outdoor unit, which allows the system to heat multiple areas of your home simultaneously.
- Easy to install: Ductless mini splits are far easier to install than a traditional heating system. They require only a small hole through an exterior wall, through which you run the conduit into your home.
- Unobtrusive: Depending upon the length of the conduit that you choose, you can place the outdoor condenser unit out of sight, perhaps around the side or rear of your home. Inside, you can mount the air-handler units on a wall near your ceiling. They come with sleek, modern covers that allow them to blend seamlessly with your room's decor.
- Independent temperature control: You can control each indoor air-handler unit independently, which enables you to heat each space as it needs it. This way, if you have rooms that you use only sparingly, you don't have to spend money and energy to heat them.
- Reduced heat loss: Traditional ducted heating systems lose a great deal of heat through the associated ductwork. However, by eliminating ductwork, ductless mini splits reduce your heat loss and actually conserve energy (and money for heating costs), as a result.
If you live in the Lexington area and would like to learn more about ductless mini splits, contact us at Joe Behr Plumbing and Heating, Inc. We've been providing quality HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) services to Mid-Ohio customers for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about ductless mini splits and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Joe Behr Plumbing and Heating, Inc. services the Mid-Ohio area.
Checklist image via Shutterstock