Fortunately, you can clear a clogged drain quickly and easily with just a little knowledge and the right tools.
If you have one drain that is backed up or not flowing freely, you probably can clear it using a plunger. However, if you have several drains that are stopped up simultaneously, or if you have a floor drain in your basement that is backing up every time you flush a toilet or run a faucet, then removing the blockage may be more difficult.
Removing A Clog
Bathroom sink and shower drains often become clogged by hair and soap scum that gets stuck in the drain trap, right at the upper part of the drain. To clear this type of blockage, try the following:
- Stretch out and then bend a coat hanger into a hook
- Remove any screens or stopper assemblies from the drain opening
- Feed the hanger into the drain to retrieve and remove the mass
If clearing the accumulated hair and soap scum from the upper part of the drain doesn't solve your problem, try using a plunger to clear the blockage. To do this:
- Plug vent holes or interconnected drain openings with a wet rag
- Fill the sink or toilet with enough water to cover the the plunger's base
- Use moderate up and down pressure on the plunger, and pull it up to release the suction every few strokes, until the water runs freely down the drain
If plunging the stubborn clogged drain doesn't work, the job may require a hand-cranked cable auger or even a power auger. Unless you have experience using specialized drain-cleaning tools, it might be a good idea to call a professional plumber, who has experience using these types of tools.
For all of your home comfort needs or a referral to a professional drain-cleaning technician, contact the experts at Joe Behr Plumbing and Heating. We have been proudly serving the Mid-Ohio area since 1965.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about dealing with a clogged drain and other HVAC topics, visit our website.
Joe Behr Plumbing and Heating, Inc. services the Mid-Ohio area.